The construction of a theater set is based on a series of specialized techniques, which aim to create a suitable framework for the text that is staged. It is based on the vision of a set designer - he is the one who consults in advance with the art department (the director) and then decides which is the best aesthetic option. Once the stylistic direction has been established, the technical sketches, the decor model and the atmosphere sketches are made. They have special and necessary features in this process:
- The technical sketches include everything related to the space, but also to the objects that will be placed on the stage – the necessary dimensions, the stage proportions or the mechanisms that will be used for any changes of scenery. This is a mandatory step, because, in this way, the main structure on which the entire scenographic framework will be based will be elaborated. All these individual factors will, in turn, be found in the layout of the decor – a way in which the overall ensemble can be made exactly, on a smaller scale. The model has the role of providing an image similar to what the final result should represent. To complete this system you also need a series of sketches of the atmosphere, which will include not only the technical details, but also those related to the environment – costumes, lights, butafory, stage constructions
Once these details are finalized, the project is transferred to specialists - teams of builders, welders, turners, locksmiths or carpenters, depending on the specifics of the sketches created. They will make the structure of the decor, using resistant materials, such as steel or aluminum, so that, later, after the pre-assembly process, to complete the set by plating methods, using a variety of techniques based on the use of forex, plywood, comatex , polycarbonate, dibond, stiplex, plexiglass or others.
- If the set designer requested the creation of decorations or special sculptures, the teams of plastic artists will intervene, who will create each one separately;
- If the chosen pattern is a repetitive one, it is often practiced the casting of ecological resins, which offer a uniform, unitary and aesthetically attractive appearance;
- The last step is made by the painter or artist who adds a specific note to all objects, according to the initial sketches – the patina of the decor, small fireworks or finishing details, which will frame the space in a certain chromatic, temporal or social area.
This is the process by which a theater set is built. Each project is unique, because it has different requirements, required by the artistic team involved in the process - therefore, it is important that the structures are made by specialists, who will take care to respect all the important details that can make the difference in the end.
Bucharest Metropolitan Circus Decor - stage access
Decor Ghost of the Opera-Scenekvelder - FOLKETEATERET -OSLO
Decor Ghost of the Opera-Scenekvelder - FOLKETEATERET -OSLO 3
Where is a theater set built?
If the decor is large and requires multiple constructions, as a rule, it can not be done inside a theater - therefore, it is necessary the participation of specialized teams, who will work on this project inside production halls. If the project is a large one, which must be assembled professionally, it is recommended to take into account its modular characteristics, in order to be transported in an easy and efficient way. This factor is essential from several points of view - quick installation, easy transport in case of travel, useful malleability in the situation of hard to reach spaces (narrow corridors, smaller theaters, cars, elevators, etc.).
The necessary storage space must also be taken into account - theaters generally store the sets in their own warehouse over several seasons, and therefore an ensemble is needed to meet these specific conditions.
Decor Ghost of the Opera-Scenekvelder - FOLKETEATERET -OSLO 5
The ratio between the set and the chosen play
The play to be staged can influence the appearance of the set in several ways. Temporal, social or historical details are important in this regard, because they can fundamentally change the approach to scenography. For example, if the action of the text is placed in a specific historical epoch, the decorative elements must comply with these specific requirements - they must reflect certain known details from that period, in order to be recognizable and easily framed in the epoch. However, there are situations in which the director wants to transpose the action of the text in another period than the one chosen by the playwright - in this situation, the scenographic project must align with this proposal, coming with a structure that fits the basic idea. But sometimes a mixture can be made between these two variants, and the director can opt for a combination of elements specific to the era proposed in dramaturgy with other contemporary elements - in this case, the setting will have to be optimally balanced, with in order to be able to satisfy all these requirements or small details, useful for the chosen theatrical aesthetics. Therefore, those who make the design must take into account this essential factor, which is related to the placement of the setting in the area captured in the play or in the director's choice.
Theater decoration Romeo and Juliet TNB 1
What materials are used in the construction of a theater set?
In each project are used a lot of materials needed to put into practice the scenographic ideas - square, rectangular or round sections, plywood, triple layered wood, tego, dibond, plexiglass, stiplex, polycarbonate, adhesive foil and much more. Depending on their specificity, the elements change and require a different approach on a case-by-case basis. The operations used in the processing are extensive and are related to each piece, by turning, cutting, welding, priming, and a number of other special interventions, which have the role of joining and finishing the work. Special materials such as ecological or acrylic resin, anti-corrosion primers, acrylic paints or various fabrics can also be used. All these are technical ways in which the initial project travels the way to its physical representation, in the smallest detail, and the materials used must be of quality, to create a durable decor, well joined and composed uniformly and uniformly.
Theater decoration Romeo and Juliet TNB 1
What dimensions can a theater set have?
The dimensions can vary considerably, depending on the space that the theater has at its disposal, but also on the directorial or scenographic vision. The construction processes must relate to the existing perimeter, in order to be able to meet all the necessary rules imposed by this important factor. However, a theater show can be invited to festivals or on the go - so it's essential that the setting can match several types of scenes with different features. . Of course, this should not affect the chosen style, but it is a detail that the producer, director and set designer must take into account before submitting the project to the team of builders.
Theater decoration Sound of music OSLO - 3
The resistance in time of the decoration elements
The period of use of the setting can vary - the show can run for several seasons, which will certainly influence the lifespan of the constituent elements. However, any such assembly has considerable strength, which does not wear out very quickly. At the same time, the mode of use can have an effect on this factor - the more the actions in the scene are directly related to the parts of the construction, changing their position or location, the more it is possible for the scenery to react to this type of exploitation, diminishing -and the period of use.
Sound of music play decor - house interior
The set for the film has a similar production procedure, but there are some essential features that are different from the constructions intended for the theater. First of all, it must reproduce reality very well, because, due to the resolution of the cameras, every detail is visible. Therefore, the projects must be made in detail - in the case of the theater, the distance is greater, and the clarity is not similar to that captured in the film.
The sets can be of various sizes, and depending on this, the sets will be designed differently . This is established by the production team, together with the director and the set designer, before being sent to those who will take care of the actual construction. However, there are situations in which the locations are pre-selected and become the film set themselves - in this case, the space must be enriched with elements that complement and define it optimally, in order to be as well finished as possible;
The assembly of the set can take place at the filming destination (on a specially arranged set or in the location) or in production halls; The people involved are mainly the same as in the case of theater sets - the production team, the architect or set designer, the director and those who will create the set from scratch - a specialized team that has such specific projects in its portfolio;
The dimensions of a project can be wider than in the case of the theatrical one, because the spaces can be both closed and open. For those arranged outdoors, the perimeters used may be larger, and this factor will require custom decorations. Therefore, a well-developed organization is mandatory, in which all tasks are properly delegated, in order to achieve the desired result, as quickly and efficiently as possible;
Unlike the set intended for theater performances, the one for film is used only during filming and is usually not reused for other projects, but is dismantled. Therefore, its actual lifespan is shorter due to the structure of the film process. However, certain elements can be recycled or reused in the structure of other decors.
Decor movie Somewhere in Palilula 1
Decor movie Somewhere in Palilula 2
An event setting can be like a movie set, placed both outdoors and indoors. Also, its magnitude may differ depending on the context in which the event takes place:
- if public ones, such as music festivals or concerts, require specific stage techniques (mobile, fixed or rotating scenes, curtain , stairs etc.) and equipment to ensure all necessary requirements (in terms of sound, acoustics, visibility, etc.),
- for small ones (such as an exhibition stand) or private ones (such as weddings, anniversaries, baptisms, etc.), the approaches will be different and the goal will be oriented in certain directions.
Leipzig Book Stand - bright letters
When is a setting needed for an event?
- In a large public event, the setting has the role of improving the atmosphere visually and environmentally. In this case, several techniques related to the characteristics of an outdoor space must be observed. The decoration must withstand any weather and, therefore, will be finished by the additional application of anticorrosive primers or polyurethane resins, which aim at the effective waterproofing of the structures in the respective construction;
- In a small private event, the project must be adapted according to several conditions: space, theme, the overall design of the event and others. These are projects with defining and clear characteristics, required by the organizers or private clients – the end result must meet all these requirements and, therefore, the whole process will be directed in this direction.
Leipzig Book Stand in progress
Sets for TV studios
The decor and objects needed to create a setting suitable for TV studios should generally be created in the same way as those for film. However, they have some distinct features, which belong to this particular field. In television, the scenographic precision is important, in order to be able to align with the profile of the respective program - talk show, reality show, news, weather, etc. Depending on this aspect, the requirements are specific and related both to the design imposed by the show format and to the studio lights or other technical details such as:
- number of participants;
- the existence of the audience involved in the filming;
- placement of desks, chairs or elements necessary for the performance of that activity.
Although, in general, the construction recipe is the same as in the case of theater or film, television is better divided into categories related to the station or subject. In conclusion, the decor must meet all these criteria, which may differ from one channel to another.
Studio decor show Garantat 100% 3
Theater decoration SZENEN EINER EHE - Theater D'esch
Decor the piece The visit of the old lady - TNB 2
Decor the piece The visit of the old lady - TNB 4
event book Stand Leipzig in team work
Leipzig Book Stand - discussion venue
Nadine TV studio decor
TV studio decor Nadine - landscape
Nadine TV studio decor - fireplace wall